Why do I like Patrick White’s style so much?
Just raving about him doesn’t convince anyone,so I decided to group some of the features that set my spine tingling.
Here are a few fragments from Riders in the Chariot, as a taster:
- Mrs Jolley’s face, which was still eating, had become a series of lumps.
- More than a little disarranged, her flesh turned mauve beneath the last vestiges of powder, the Lady from Czernowitz was still able to glitter from behind the kohl.
- ‘If you will pass this way,’ almost shouted the plump goddess, perspiring on her foam rubber.
- Little sighs would break, scintillating, on the Wilton wall-to-wall
- The two ladies clutched each other by the gloves.
- Mr Hoggett, who was pretty big, simply sat, in his singlet, expressing himself with his belly.
- Her mouth, which was working to solve, suddenly subsided on the teeth.
For a fuller analysis of some of my favourite lines, see the table attached below: